PUBLIC| ESTD – 1956| OPERATES AUTONOMOUSLY UNDER THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND FAMILY WELFARE
All India Institute of Medical Sciences is a medical college and medical research public university based in New Delhi, India. AIIMS was established in 1956 and operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. AIIMS Delhi is governed by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Act, 1956. AIIMS was established in 1956 in New Delhi after then Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru’s initial proposal to set up the institute in Calcutta was turned down by the then Chief Minister of West Bengal Bidhan Chandra Roy. It was the vision of Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the first Health Minister of India, to establish an institute of such nature in India.
AIIMS is located in Ansari Nagar in Delhi. It is adjacent to the South Extension-II market, and lies on the south-eastern quadrant of Aurbindo Marg and Inner Ring Road crossing. Across AIIMS is Safdarjung Hospital and associated Vardhman Mahavir Medical College (of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University). Also, adjacently lies the headquarters of Indian Council of Medical Research, the body that coordinates and funds medical research in India. In vicinity, also lies National Medical Library, run by the Directorate-General of Health Services of the Government of India. It has a vast collection of scientific and medical journals that can be accessed by researchers.
AIIMS is the first Indian center to perform a successful cardiac transplant. The surgery was performed by P Venugopal, the ex- director of AIIMS in 1994. AIIMS is a leader in stem cell therapy, especially cardiac and neurological.
AIIMS is a residential university where the faculty members, staff, and students live on either the main campus or one of the several extension campuses. At undergraduate level there is accommodation for total 400 students in 7 hostels, 6 male and one female hostel . At post-graduate level there are 3 hostels, 1 hostel for female students and 2 hostels for single male or married couples. Additional hostels for nursing students and post-graduate students are available at a facility in the Masjid Moth area, near the main AIIMS campus.
Attendance is compulsory and emphasis on participating in research activities, under the professors at AIIMS or elsewhere, from undergraduate years. AIIMS has a cosmopolitan culture with students from all over India as well as from other nations such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Mauritius and more. A variety of Indian cultural festivals and most major international festivals are celebrated. AIIMS has large well-equipped gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, basketball, volleyball, squash and soccer. The hostels also have libraries.
AIIMS Delhi was ranked first among medical colleges in India in 2017 by India Today, Outlook India and The Week.
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing
• Bachelor of Science in Home Science
• Bachelor of Science IN Speech and Hearing
• Bachelor of Science in Ophthalmic Techniques
• Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology
• Master of Surgery (MS)
• Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
• Master of Chirurgical (M. Ch)
• Master of Science in Biotechnology
Doctor of medicine (MD)-
• Doctor of Medicine in Anatomy
• Doctor of Medicine in Anesthesiology
• Doctor of Medicine in Biochemistry
• Doctor of Medicine in Community Medicine
• Doctor of Medicine in Dermatology & Leprosy
• Doctor of Medicine in Forensic Medicine
• Doctor of Medicine in General Medicine
• Doctor of Medicine in Microbiology
• Doctor of Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynecology
• Doctor of Medicine in Ophthalmology
• Doctor of Medicine in Pediatrics
• Doctor of Medicine in Pathology
• Doctor of Medicine in Pharmacology
• Doctor of Medicine in Physiology
• Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatric Medicine
• Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry
• Doctor of Medicine in Radio-diagnosis
• Doctor of Medicine in Radiotherapy
• Through AIIMS MBBS Entrance
• President – Minister for Health and Family Welfare
• Dean – Balram Airan
• Director – Randeep Guleria
Nature of the fees Amount (Rs.) Hostel & Other Fees Amount (Rs.)
Registration Fee Rs.25.00 Hostel Rent Rs.990.00
Caution Money Rs.100.00 Gymkhana Fee Rs.220.00
Tuition Fee Rs.1350.00 Pot Fund Rs.1320.00
Laboratory Fee Rs.90.00 Electricity charges Rs.198.00
Student Union Fee Rs.63.00 Mess Security Deposit (Refundable) Rs.500.00
Hostel Security Deposit (Refundable) Rs. 1000.00
Total Rs. 1628.00 Rs. 4228.00
Ansari Nagar, in front of Safdarjung Hospital at the crossing of
Ring Road and Aurobindo Marg.
Telephone No. of Central Enquiry– 26588500, 26588900, 26588700 — (extension 4707)
Telephone No. of IRCH Exchange — 26589172-212
Telephone No. of CTVS Exchange– 26589827, 26589551, 26589894, 26588556, 26588559-62
Website – www.aiims.edu ; www.aiims.ac.in
Emergency numbers – 26594405, 26594706